Our Simcor, Vytorin and Zocor injury lawyers are investigating claims of severe muscle injury with use of the cholesterol lowering drugs. The injury is called rhabdomyolysis, which can lead to kidney failure or death, when simvastatin containing drugs like Simcor, Vytorin and Zocor are used with amiodarone, medication used to treat irregular heart beat.
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS RHABDOMYOLYSIS
Symptoms of Rhabdomyolysis
- Abnormal urine color(dark, red, or cola colored)
- General weakness
- Muscle stiffness or aching (myalgia)
- Muscle tenderness
- WeaknessÃ‚Â of the affected muscles
Additional symptoms that may be associated with this disease include the following:
- Joint pain
- Weight gain (unintentional)
WHAT THE PUBLIC NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT SIMVASTATIN RELATEDÃ‚Â RHABDOMYOLYSIS
- Amiodarone is used to control a heart rhythm problem and simvastatin is used to lower cholesterol.
- Simvastatin interacts with amiodarone and can cause a rare muscle injury condition called rhabdomyolysis. This condition can lead to kidney failure and possibly death.
- If you are taking amiodarone and a cholesterol-lowering drug product containing simvastatin, you should not take more than 20 mg of simvastatin each day because your risk of developing rhabdomyolysis increases.
- If you are starting therapy with simvastatin, or your dose of simvastatin is being increased, contact your doctor immediately if you experience symptoms of unexplained muscle injury, such as muscle cramps, pain, tenderness, stiffness or spasm.